Notifications provide updates about activity occurring in the online classroom. The red counter on the bell icon at the top of the page displays the number of new notifications.
The following types of events automatically generate notifications to you:
- Your instructor adds a new post.
- Your instructor comments on your post.
- Your instructor uses the built-in markup tools to provide feedback on your work.
- Your instructor gives or changes a grade on your work or submits a progress/midterm/final grade for you.
- Your instructor adds information to an assignment by using the Instructor Update box.
- A video that you have uploaded fails to process correctly.
You can also take additional actions that will generate notifications to others:
- You can tag your instructors and classmates, helping to draw extra attention to something that may be especially relevant to them.
- You can flag a post or comment as a question. Doing so will let your instructor know that you need additional information or clarification.
Many notifications apply only to the posts that you make and to actions taken by your instructor, but you can also choose to watch a topic and receive a notification when anyone posts or comments within it.
Your notifications will always be available by clicking on the bell icon, but you can also receive specific types of notifications via email--immediately or in a daily or weekly digest--or via the Classes app on your phone or tablet. Click the bell and then Settings to set your notification preferences.